Monday 13 October 2008

The Standard, Downtown


I endeavoured to stay at The Standard hotel, in downtown LA since it is well known as a design youths mecca. However, my recent graduate budget did not quite stretch to this and I ended up staying at the Wilshire Grand down the road for nearly half the price. I did go and have a nose around though to see what I was missing out on.

I didn't get to see any of the rooms, but after doing research, I found their information graphics to be both user friendly and amusing. I think these signs really capture the spirit of this hotel. It pioneers to be different, to be young, hip and with it as the upside down signage and logo suggests. The Standard hotels want to be seen as the last of the party hotels, still allowing smoking in some of their rooms. This would probably put me off staying there, since I can't stand the smell, especially somewhere you sleep!




Something I didn't expect to run in during my visit to The Standard, was Rudy's barbershop. One of my favourite graphic design firms in LA created the mural for this trendy budget chain and I just so happened to pass it. I took some photos with my disposable camera but they didn't come back, so here are the ones from National Forest's site, which can be accessed below.
nationalforest.com




LA is not a place I can see myself living, but there sure is lots to see and do if you have the money and the know how. It was an enjoyable, fun packed week.

P.S. If you want a really great haircut, you must look up my friend Rayzor on Melrose Avenue:

Gorgeous Hollywood

No comments: