Thursday 29 January 2009

The Man Who Couldn't Open Doors


Paul Arden unfortunately passed away last year. But he was and still remains, a great asset to the design world. His book
It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be is my personal bible. Full of inspiration and feel good factors, it helps you through creative uncertainty and gives you the positivity you need to go the extra mile.


Interestingly enough, I discovered that Arden made a film called The Man Who Couldn't Open Doors. This I feel is in the same vein as his bestselling book and something that is very relevant to my experiences at the moment. I am looking for a job after the company I worked for went into liquidation just before Christmas. This is exactly what I am trying to do: open doors.

In this industry it is not easy, many of these metaphorical 'doors' being firmly closed to new graduates and inexperienced newcomers. And in the current economical job drought that we find ourselves in, in Britain, it is much more difficult to cut the mustard...which I just googled and ironically is a graphic design agency! Showing how flooded the market already is.

The short film that Arden produced is beautifully shot, with a great soundtrack and a strong art house suspense to it. A good measure of humour is also thrown in which I find always helps with the witty narration. Enjoy it for yourself below.



Cinematographer: Alex Thompson
Director: Paul Arden
Written by Bo Fowler.

No comments: