Monday 13 October 2008

Walt Disney Concert Hall


After visiting San Francisco and Cosa Mesa (Orange County), I travelled to downtown Los Angeles, where I stayed right around the corner from Frank Gehry's awesome Walt Disney Concert Hall.

This amazing building is something which I could not have prepared myself for. After watching 'Sketches of Frank Gehry' nearly two years ago, I was inspired by his unorthadox architecture and creative approach to public buildings. He is a master of his field and I have a lot of respect for him. To see a Gehry building in reality is a wonderful experience. I stumbled across it whilst trying to find LA's MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art). I believe it must be viewed several times, at varying times of day in order to see it in as many lights as possible. I only visited twice due to my limited stay, but it left a lasting impression.

On the plane on the way back to England, several weeks later, I was subjected to the awful Steve Carrel film, 'Get Smart'. The end segment of the film is set in Gehry's concert hall and even though the film was cringe worthy, seeing the building shot by a Hollywood film crew, brought back great memories.

You can walk up and around the building, through the converging planes of silver sheets. The space is clever and exploring it is a joy. Inside there is a bar made from thick glass layers. It's a must see for those in LA.

No comments: