Thursday 16 August 2007

A Zed & Two Noughts


I checked this film out at the library earlier today because it had an intriguing title and the blurb interested me. It is a Peter Greenaway film from 1985. After watching 'My Beautiful Laundrette', another film from 1986, I have realised that the British Film scene of that time was quite something. I was born in 1986 and so was unable to appreciate these films at the time of release. However, I am grateful for the Leeds University Library's arsenal of 80s films, to allow me to catch up.

The storyline is quite complicated, so I am just going to cite the back of the DVD case to enlighten those who have never seen it before. "Two women passengers die in a car crash as a result of which the female driver has a leg amputated. The zoologist twin husbands of the dead women are fascinated by the processes of decay, start an affair with the amputee and liberate animals from a zoo." In short that is what the film is about but it is wonderfully compelling and beautiful to watch. The opening few scenes reminded me of the photography of David LaChapelle. This, I think is due to a rather limited reality as well as an abundance of neon, jaunty angles and wild textures.

I can imagine this film translated to the stage, and think it would work very well as a play, due to perhaps the static nature of the camera, as well as the large stage like scenes. The director is constantly playing on symmetry, which also provides a pleasing aesthetic. Since the film is about nature- or in fact the rise and fall of it, it echoes the natural beauty in both life and death bringing in concepts of balance and justice. I enjoyed the seemingly effortless depth of this film as well as its compelling entertainment through dramatic cinematography and elements of dark comedy.

No comments: