Wednesday 8 August 2007

Perrier Campaign




I really enjoyed this new direction for Perrier mineral water created by Ogilvy & Mather, New York. Illustrators Al Murphy and Paul Davis collaborated on the campaign to encourage a younger market for Perrier. I first saw it in Lurzers' Archive magazine in the non alcoholic beverages section. This is a section that I keenly monitor since, as a non drinker, I am always pleased to see non alcoholic options being pushed by clever campaigns.

The illustrations themselves are very simple, but carry a humour throughout the campaign and an absurdity that gets them noticed. The posters show images of things such as running with scissors, the tagline being "crazier" and taking a bath with a hairdryer with the tagline "riskier". The Perrier green is used in all the drawings and an altered version of the bottles label reads words like, 'Manlier' and 'Sexier' depending on the illustration. Every poster pictures a bottle of the product somewhere within the illustration. I really admire the new dimension in which they have taken something as simple as bottled water.

Below are a couple of examples of the TV ads. I think they are only aired in the US but let me know if you have seen them here.





More information about the campaigns of Perrier can be found at these sites.

www.perrier.com
Perrier on Lurzers Archive

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

These drawings remind me of David Shrigley's work. They are simple, which makes them so wonderfully effective.

It seems a lot of campaigns are playing with the simple sketch style, employing it in different ways of course...

Check out the "sketchy"
marmite ads:
http://www.luerzersarchive.us/workinarchive.asp?person=5064

SarahFleming said...

This is a witty, humorous solution to the problem of advertising seemingly mundane products such as bottled water to a youthful audience. Like mentioned, it does remind me of the work of David Shrigley, and I think it is the mix of the simplistic drawings but the characterisations that still emerge from them that makes the visuals appealing. Good example of using words the target audience associate with their everyday vocabulary as a way of catching attention, although I wonder how many times this has been done before with brand names in an attempt to create some new 'brand assocations'. Overall, I think its the wit and humour of the situations that make the campaign work.

Holly Mee said...

A good campaign and think they have carried it on well in the print and animation sections, particualry like the heart monitor one. The illustrations are good, and they have used funny scenarios to emphasise all the points like the hairdryer in the bath, very clever.

Like Sarah said appropriate use of words that people will use to think of themselvs and others in various situations.

Simon Peter said...

simonsays
I enjoyed the simple animations and the designs. I'm no great prose writer, but been involved with marketing perrier myself, all the suppliers own stuff in our mag, but this is cool and I know we would have boosted some sales with it!