Tuesday 4 September 2007

Karlssonwilker Inc.


Last year as part of Ligature 2007, I was lucky enough to attend a workshop and lecture with Jan Wilker of Karlssonwilker Inc.

Karlssonwilker Inc.

He inspired me to use more experimental forms of design, and approach briefs with an open mind. In his workshop, we used vinyl to create forms which we then ironed onto t-shirts. His lecture involved him talking a lot about his company based in New York, and showing us some of his best loved work.

He showed us video footage of his search for inspiration whilst on a twelve day visit to Serbia. Each day he and his business partner, Hjalti Karlsson would gather enough information to design and represent one of the months of the year. He also showed us the cover of The New York Times Magazine's Annual Design Issue, which Karlssonwilker Inc. produced. The design features in this months (September) issue of Creative Review (pg.34) However Karlssonwilker Inc. are not credited for its design. This puzzles me, but I imagine the two designers are a little annoyed too.




Above is the featured front cover, as well as some spreads which have personally inspired some of my own layouts in past projects. I think it makes the information both interesting and accessible with a strong iconic feel to it. I think this pair really benefit from their mixed heritage and worldly experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm... I still have to say that I did not really appreciate the work he showed. With the exception of what you posted.

I was not a fan of the rainbow gradient CD covers.
What was great though, was how he and his partner marketed their work, by sending out letters and some quirky cards. Even though what they showed was not very impressive to me, they managed to show A lot of people, and some people did find it impressive. In the end, success depends (majorly) on how well you can market yourself.

ciara said...

dude, you know I love karlssonwilker inc. they do what they want, and have a good time, and that's what I find so inspiring, god I sound like oprah.